What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?

What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?
Remember: "When God closes a door, He always opens a window!" You never know what might be out there waiting for you!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

To Obey Is Better Than Sacrifice UpDATED

This was written in 2010 in the midst of the Lenten season.  Thought it was worth another look today, the first day of Lent for 2014.  Blessings to you and yours today dear friends.  I'm a bit behind in my writing...but I'm working on it. In the meantime...this is my offering today. 


I Samuel 15:22  "Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord?  Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams."


I woke up this morning with Lent on my mind. My particular church background does not make an issue of participation in Lent, but it is something to me that is a personal decision for each individual to decide.  If you did make a decision to participate in the idea of making some personal sacrifices during this season, how are you doing?  We should be about half way through the 40 day period by my calculations. Have you found it difficult to maintain your convictions?  What happens in your mind if you "fall off the wagon" so to speak, and give in to the temptation to do whatever it was you said you wouldn't do?  Do you get back up and start all over again? Or do you just give up altogether and decide this just wasn't a good idea for you?


My approach to Lent is that it is not so much about making a "sacrifice", as it is about moving forward in the right direction, a new beginning; a clear resolve to obey rather than sacrifice.  Writing this daily journal is one way I believe God is directing my steps during this season of Lent.  You may think that I'm writing this for your benefit alone, but that isn't exactly true! It is as much for me as it is for you. It is the way I believe God has directed me to obey Him and trust Him to open new windows of opportunity as a result.  And so far I believe that it is fulfilling all that I had hoped it would. Writing something new every day is a real challenge for me, but it is also an opportunity for me to stop and listen to what God is saying to my heart, and also what He wants me to share with you.  Trust me, it has been a real lesson in obedience and self-discipline!

So, how about you?  What new sacrifices or challenges are you dealing with?  Are you finding it difficult to stay on the course? From what source do you draw strength and energy to keep moving forward? 

Let me share with you my secret...this is what "works" for me.  Perhaps it will help you as well:


  1. "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, rejoice!  (Philippians 4:4)
  2. Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. (Philippians 4:5)
  3. Be anxious for nothing, (Philippians 4:6a)
  4. But in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; (Philippians 4:6b)
  5. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."     (Philippians 4:7)
  6. "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
Is it easy to "rejoice always" and "be anxious for nothing"?  Absolutely NOT!  It is Christ alone Who gives me the strength and energy I need to accomplish whatever task I fear or dread.  Without Christ living in me, I am powerless.  In my own strength, I fail miserably. He is my Power Source.
The question for today is this: Are you plugged in to the true "Power Source"?  If not, would you like to be? All you have to do is ask! He's much closer than you think!

4 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! As with every fast or it should bring us to a new place not just away from something but towards Christ. I have, in the past, celebrated the Lenten season as God was doing some new things in my life and not that He isn't now but my church does a first of the year Daniel Fast and I wasn't where I wanted to be when they finished so I "went on". These type of "celebrations" are a stepping stone and I thoroughly enjoyed you sharing your heart with us about this.

    There are times I have done this and because I was going in on "my own strength" it was a battle to remain faithful. However, during these times of almost giving up if I back up and recognize Him, I can bring an offering of praise at the finish line, as was the case this last time. Thank you again for your transparency!
    Blessings-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,, an offering of praise, even in the midst of the struggle...keeps us going when we don't know which way to turn. Where would we be without our Power Source, Jesus Christ? This is why we need to stay tuned in and close to His side. I'm in the midst of a battle right now...thanking the Lord for His strength to carry me through. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Hi Pam! I think this year I am doing much the same that you did in 2010 (wow, you've been blogging a long time!). I want to get on the right track with prayer and taking care of myself. I have to respect the gift of faith and my body that he gave me. I hope to make it a joy, not a drudge.

    I love the phrase "return to me" because I know every year I appreciate the call to think and decide how I have gotten far from the Lord. It makes me happy to try again. I think it makes God happy too.
    Blessings to you this Lenten Season,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. So love your heart! And for Lent, I think of Romans 12:11 - Never be lacking in zeal-keeping my spiritual fervor, serving the Lord! I want to add, not take away for Lent...like add more of the fruits He wants to flourish in me by His grace...cultivating fruit for Lent, yessiree! Working on our RJD post, and tweeking it all up! You are an inspiration! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting here today. I would love for you to sign my guestbook and let me know you stopped by. I always enjoy reading your comments and words of encouragement! May you be blessed as you go on your way. Please come back and visit again soon.