I Samuel 15:22 "Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams."
My approach to Lent is that it is not so much about making a "sacrifice", as it is about moving forward in the right direction, a new beginning; a clear resolve to obey rather than sacrifice. Writing this daily journal is one way I believe God is directing my steps during this season of Lent. You may think that I'm writing this for your benefit alone, but that isn't exactly true! It is as much for me as it is for you. It is the way I believe God has directed me to obey Him and trust Him to open new windows of opportunity as a result. And so far I believe that it is fulfilling all that I had hoped it would. Writing something new every day is a real challenge for me, but it is also an opportunity for me to stop and listen to what God is saying to my heart, and also what He wants me to share with you. Trust me, it has been a real lesson in obedience and self-discipline!
So, how about you? What new sacrifices or challenges are you dealing with? Are you finding it difficult to stay on the course? From what source do you draw strength and energy to keep moving forward?
Let me share with you my secret...this is what "works" for me. Perhaps it will help you as well:
- "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, rejoice! (Philippians 4:4)
- Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. (Philippians 4:5)
- Be anxious for nothing, (Philippians 4:6a)
- But in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; (Philippians 4:6b)
- And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)
- "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)