What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?

What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?
Remember: "When God closes a door, He always opens a window!" You never know what might be out there waiting for you!

Monday, August 31, 2026

Tuesday 4~ Traditions (& More!)

 (Posted on August 31!)  Oh yes! It's September 1st, and even though fall is not officially here for a few more weeks, September always makes us think fall from day one, even though we still haven't had Labor Day, which is usually the last summer event and then I begin my fall decorations after that. However, since Labor Day seems a little bit "late" this year, some rules may be broken. So here's the Tuesday 4 post for this week, but I've added a few extras that I usually do on the first of the month...i.e....the Calendar Roll Call.

So grab a cup of hot pumpkin spice tea or coffee and sit back and enjoy the "show". 

Tradition


 Welcome to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4.
Tradition is an important part of any family or community and so important that people will fight to be sure they are not neglected or done away with.
From the first day of Autumn, to Halloween, All Saints Day, and Thanksgiving autumn brings many different traditions from all around the world.
School kids cut out paper leaves, pumpkins,etc. Homemakers change decor to reflect the new season.
Sweaters come out of storage... the weather is changing.


1. Why is tradition important to you?
I think traditions help us to mark special occasions and holidays and make them more memorable for our families. Many traditions have been handed down from generation to generation, and some traditions may be new and exclusive to our own current generation. Either way, I love traditions and doing things with my family that we all look forward to.  As I said above, I may be adding some other current events into this post, and here's one of our family traditions...the Birthday Cake/candle blowout. 
Yesterday we celebrated our son's birthday (which was actually Friday) here at home with our immediate family. No matter how old we are, we all enjoy having a birthday cake and candles and hearing people sing Happy Birthday to us. Here's the video of us singing to our son yesterday and him blowing out his "55" candles. LOL.


Now, here is the first try "blooper" video...we started to sing, and my hubby was doing something silly and we got to laughing so hard we had to stop singing and start over. It was worth sharing, I think.




2. Have family traditions helped to shape who you are?
Yes, I definitely think so. My parents were really big into traditions for Christmas and Easter and birthdays. We have carried on many of those traditions with our own children throughout the years, and we still do things like setting up a train set under the Christmas tree and hunting for Easter Baskets even now when our kids are all grown. It's the fun side of the holidays that our family always looks forward to, and it helps connect our family together.

3. Do you believe that tradition helps a community or shapes the unity of family and community?
Most definitely.  I love it when towns have annual traditions of things like a Christmas Parade or a Fall Festival or  4th of July fireworks or other special events that are special to that community. It helps identify their community and builds communal strength when people  come together and enjoy the fun times as well as the other times, when people need to be there for each other.

4. Are there any traditions you would like to bring back and why?
Not sure of any at the moment that we don't already do.  And every community/church/school is different in the kinds of things they like to do traditionally. That's why I love living in a smaller town and attending a small church where people do like to get together and do special events.

Now here is one of MY traditions for the first of every month...the Calendar Roll Call! Are you ready? Let's go!

I love this Thomas Kinkade painting for September...It's entitled "Morning Pledge", and if you notice the kids are gathered around the flagpole in front of the school house.  I love the old classic cars in this picture too.  I know some schools do still have the "See You At The Pole" day, where they say the pledge and also pray for their school. It's voluntary, but such a great way to start the school year. This year's SYATP event is scheduled for September 23, 2026. You can learn more about that in the link above.

And this verse is a great way to put things in order in our lives:

I love the little cabin on my Cabin Calendar for September...What a peaceful setting. The only thing this cabin needs is a big front porch!

This recipe for a Cranberry Apple Crisp is on the Susan Branch calendar for September. It sounds really good. I may have to try it!!!

Apples always seem to go well with September!!



Interesting thought to ponder:

This is the Billy Graham quotes calendar for September...

and a very good thought also to ponder...


And this verse goes along with that thought...

Here's the Teapot Calendar for September...a very unusual looking tea set, I must say...

Here's some information about it... I don't think it's exactly my idea of what a teapot should look like,  but it is interesting for sure.

I don't know if I am THIS fond of tea, but I do love it... LOL:


And last but not least, the John Sloane Country Seasons calendar for September shows this farmwife peeling apples for an apple pie...which goes along with my idea of September just fine. 

My birthday is later this month, and talk about tradtions, my mother used to bake an apple for me for my birthday instead of a cake (at my request). I do miss her wonderful pies so much, but now my sister usually does that for me, or she picks up one from Costco, which is pretty good. Here'a picture of a couple of my sister's pies on my birthday several years ago... (I think she baked two because we had a large group there, and I notice there was also a cake, brought by my sister in law! What a blessing!)

I think I was listening to them sing Happy Birthday to me! LOL.

Another September tradition is decorating the house for the autumn days and weeks...I normally wait until after Labor Day to begin my fall decorating, but the "kids" helped me get a head start yesterday with this little gift that they created:


Aren't they cute?  Especially the black cat!!  Now that I have my own black cat, I find myself drawn to all kinds of fun decor with black cats!

Oh, here's Blackie now,slieeping with one of his "toys".  Actually that toy belongs to our grandpups, but Blackie decided it was now his.  


Well, friends, that's all for this post. I am posting it early tonight because we have to go back up the road an hour + tomorrow morning to see the Eye Surgeon again. Hubby's eye is still not really doing as well as it should be since his cataract surgery, and so we are going to get it checked out.  This will be a busy rest of the week...I have a dental appointment on Wednesday, then on Thursday there's the Memorial Service for the man in our church who passed away last week..  On Friday hubby has a Dr. appointment over in Gainesville, which is another hour's drive in a different direction.  Somewhere during this week we need to fit in some hair cuts because we are looking like shaggy dogs.  So I may not be around much here in Blogland, but I will try to pop in as I am able.

Have a blessed and wonderful week everyone.




3 comments:

  1. I love the laughing video - made me laugh too!
    Traditions are good for the most part I think. This made me think of when our son was young and I used to make certain treats at Christmas. I had made something one time and the next year he told me I had to make it again - "it's a tradition!" Hmmm, I think he was just using that to get something he liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love traditions. I took for granted how much effort my parents put into our wonderful childhood traditions. Well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your answers to this week's meme questions. I also enjoyed the September Kincade calendar prints. The theme you have of apple pie suited me well since my cousin baked an apple pie and sent me a few pieces along with dinner on Monday night. She is visiting her sister about 1.5 hours away and my brother was there for dinner. I was invited as well but I was feeling tired. I'm glad I stayed home as it turned into a full day's trip for my brother who returned very late to the city. I love the phone of you in front of your birthday pies. You really look like you were enjoying the birthday song so much. September always gets off to a bang. I too have lots of appointments to get to this month like you and your husband. I also have other things I need to do so I may be scarce in visiting your blog. All the best until then dear Pamela.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting here today. I would love for you to sign my guestbook and let me know you stopped by. I always enjoy reading your comments and words of encouragement! May you be blessed as you go on your way. Please come back and visit again soon.