What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?

What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?
Remember: "When God closes a door, He always opens a window!" You never know what might be out there waiting for you!

Thursday, August 27, 2026

Thursday Thankfulness and Dolly Parton

 I woke up on Tuesday morning and put out the flag as the sun was rising as per my normal routine. I always like to look at the skies and see what interesting cloud formations appear at that time. Every morning is different...some are ordinary and not too interesting, but so often there is something to take my breath away.  This was one of those mornings. I saw this cloud in the sky that to me looked like a child praying over our country and our American Flag.  It was one of those goose-bumply moments, and I shared it on Facebook.

A little later in the morning I started seeing notices on Facebook that Dolly Parton had died that morning. I don't know about you, but even my sister commented to me when she saw this cloud, "Maybe it was Dolly!". Yes, I had actually thought the same thing! I didn't want to say it out loud because people would think I was a little crazy, but since my sister went ahead and said it on Facebook...I knew that I could say it too. Let people think what they want. They've certainly been coming out of the woodwork to say all kinds of things...some beautiful and positive and some, well, downright ugly, even from some "Christians". That really disturbs me that people who call themselves Christians are so quick to judge and act like they are God and they express their opinions as if they have an inside track to God's heart. What I would like to say is this: No one knows the heart of any person EXCEPT for God. What has transpired between the heart of any man or woman and Jesus Christ is strictly between them. 

I love to think about that thief on the cross...the story is found in Luke chapter 23:38-43

38 And an inscription also was written over Him in letters of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew:
THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
39 Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.”
40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 
41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” 
42 Then he said o Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”
43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

Even though that thief had lived a life of enslavement to sin, when he was dying, he recognized Who Jesus was, and called him "LORD", and asked Him to remember him when he came into His kingdom...and Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."

There was no time to do any great works or make up for all of his misdeeds. He was literally dying right then. But Jesus saw his faith and knew his heart that he was sincere, and He granted him pardon right then and there.  

That's what I love about Jesus. He looks at the heart of man, not on the outward appearance.

1 Samuel 16:7 NIV

7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. 
People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”


When it comes to Dolly Parton, I see a woman whom God blessed abundantly, and she knew that and expressed it often. She was also a person who did not hoard her wealth, but shared it freely with so many less fortunate ones. She used her talents and gifts  and blessings to bless others.  Was she perfect? No. But then, neither am I, or you, or anyone else out there. Did I agree with everything she said and/or did? Probably not on some issues. But what I see is a woman with a big heart who loved God and loved people and wanted to make things better for those who were less fortunate.  I believe she expressed her faith in God through her works.  

I love this song that Dolly sang at the Christian Music Association Dove Awards back in 1990 .  And as I watched her singing this once again, I believe I could hear Dolly singing it from heaven as she met Jesus face to face:  "He's Alive! He's Alive! He's Alive and I'm forgiven, heaven's gates are opened wide! He's Alive! He's Alive! He's Alive! Sweet Jesus, He's Alive!!!!"
Dolly Parton singing "He's Alive"

Right after I saw that unusual cloud, I saw these two Sand Hill Cranes fly over together...and again, at the time I didn't know the significance of what was happening because I hadn't heard the news, but afterwards I thought, well maybe that was the angel escorting Dolly into heaven...
Who knows? God knows. And that's good enough for me.

RIP Dolly Parton


I know this is a little different from my usual kind of Thursday Thankfulness post, but it was on my mind and I just wanted to share these thoughts. You may feel differently about this than I do, but that's okay. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts...but these are mine and I am thankfuly that through Jesus Christ, we all have this hope of eternal life.  It's best to make that decision now and not wait until we are on our deathbed, because life is so much better when we know Jesus.  

Amen, and have a blessed day.

13 comments:

  1. I saw that cloud pic when you posted it on FB and thought it was just beautiful.
    I'm very sad about Dolly and agree with what you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Dolly and she will be missed and her music will live on. I don't know anything about her personal life. All I ever saw was a sweet, genuine successful woman from East Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolly Parton was a national treasure in my book, Pamela. Her songs will resonate through the generations as will the beauty of her generosity to so many less fortunate whose lives she was able to touch deeply through her free book giveaways through the foundation she started. Most importantly, she was always bold about her faith, never afraid to proclaim in word and deed the affect Jesus had on her life. She will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolly was a shining light, she always made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, this post was a wonderful tribute to a special woman, Dolly Parton, who certainly did do a lot of good in the world and any naysayers are to be ignored for their ignorance and that is how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, this is a lovely post! I was touched by Dolly and am sad about our loss of such a beautiful woman - inside and out. PBS has a documentary about her that I watched two nights ago. She was so special and helped so many.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post today is such a blessing. Yes He is alive and I am forgiven !!!
    Well said and that cloud is really stunning !!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Repeating what you said, “No one knows the heart of any person EXCEPT for God. What has transpired between the heart of any man or woman and Jesus Christ is strictly between them.” I heartily agree.

    And thank you for sharing the story of the thief on the cross. I hold onto that when I think of those I know who have not yet surrendered to Jesus Christ.

    Your post here is beautifully written. Thank you for every word of it. (and yes, that cloud was incredible!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post! Thankfully I haven't seen anything untoward or disparaging online about Dolly. I'm sure it probably exists. We have to be careful what neighborhoods we walk while on social media anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great post, Pamela! Dolly Parton will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When we think of Dolly Parton, we think of someone who is part of America’s best.bb

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cloud is fantastic. I can just imagine Dolly singing in the Heavenly choir. Thank you for this well thought out post. Indeed, no one knows anyones heart except God. I am so thankful that He is the only One that counts. Not anyone else opinion. I haven't heard anything negative about Dolly but I'm not surprised. The internet is a terrible place sometimes. It can bring out the worst in people. It can also bring out the best.
    You are always part of the BEST!
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting here today. I would love for you to sign my guestbook and let me know you stopped by. I always enjoy reading your comments and words of encouragement! May you be blessed as you go on your way. Please come back and visit again soon.