What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?

What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?
Remember: "When God closes a door, He always opens a window!" You never know what might be out there waiting for you!

Saturday, September 12, 2026

Saturday Musings about the day before

 

This was the sunrise on 9/11/2026. A little bit foggy, but that just seems appropriate for the remembrance of this particular day.

Yesterday was September 11, "9-11", and I shared a post that I've been adding to over the past 15 years. I intentionally turned off the comments for yesterday, so I don't know if you read it or not, but that's okay. I mainly want to keep a record of current events each year at this time so see where we've been and how much has changed with each passing year of remembrance of that horrific event.  For me, it is a solemn day and one that cannot be ignored or glossed over.  We need to make sure our future generations are taught about what happened on that day, and we ourselves must never forget.  

With that being said, I will tell you that I am not able to sit and watch the coverage of that event each year. It brings such overwhelming grief to my heart, and my emotions are just not able to bear it. So we usually try to take a ride and go someplace peaceful to help find some comfort and release of the pent up emotions.  It seems our favorite go-to place is the Christian camp about 20 miles from us known as "Lake Swan Camp".  If you don't remember me sharing our history with this camp before, HERE is a link to a time that we went there before and I shared the story of why it is so significant to us. Please take a moment to go back and read the whole story when you can, and you will understand more of why I love this place so much.   

This is the main view that you see when you get into the grounds of the camp...this beautiful cross down by the water...

I always find myself heading straight to this spot first of all. There's just something about the cross that gives me peace, especially on a day like 9/11.  

Maybe because it reminds me of this cross that was discovered in the rubble of the Twin Towers after they fell on that fateful day...

A Cross in the rubble at Ground Zero
made from the steel beams

A poignant reminder that even in the midst of such horror and sorrow, Jesus Christ was there in the midst...bringing comfort and peace to others as they were reminded of His great love for us...a love so great that 

"Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2

Here's the whole passage...
Hebrews 12:1-3 NKJV

"1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls."


It truly was a lovely day here yesterday...such blue skies and smooth waters...


A perfect day to just enjoy the beauty of God's creation and reflect on the good things that He has done for us, even mixed with the sorrows of this world.






This LINK tells more of the history of why we love this place so much.

Actually, HERE is another link to another time we went there that shows even more of the whole campground. Such a beautiful and peaceful place.

Here's another link. You don't have to read them all. I just like to add them to these posts so I can find them again someday.


Of course we had to play a game of Miniature golf, which ended in a tie. We didn't make it all the way through to the end of the course, but we still had fun.






Some of these signs are a little worse for wear after the long summer. I think they are still in the process of repairing and cleaning up now that the summer camps are over.



We had fun, but then it was time to get going back home.

Oh, but first I wanted to see this newly renovated old chapel building, which was the original chapel for the camp years ago, and more recently has been used more as a recreational building because they have a much newer modern chapel for their regular services.  Through a LOT of hard work by many volunteers, they have completely renovated this old building and made it now available for multi-purposes...



I would love it just for porch sitting and relaxing



Inside is so beautifully done...it still retains its rustic charm and old bead board ceilings, but it is very lovely and functional...
I love the doors with the crosses on them. 
They've even added a commercial kitchen and dining area for smaller groups when they don't want to use the much larger dining hall for large groups.

This beautiful quilted cross really captured my attention:
I'm sure there are some quilters out there in blogland who may have made one like this, but I find it really really special and meaninful in this location...the blue waters of the lake behind the cross. I love it.

Well, that was our day and it was very comforting and soothing. We ended the day with a beautiful sunset...here's what I managed to capture before the sun totally sank down behind the trees around Still Waters Pond...



This song is fitting after such a day of difficult memories and emotions...




1 Day is dying in the west;
Heav'n is touching earth with rest;
Wait and worship while the night
Sets her evening lamps alight
Through all the sky.



Refrain:
Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of Hosts!
Heav'n and earth are full of Thee;
Heav'en and earth are praising Thee,
O Lord most high!


2 Lord of life, beneath the dome
Of the universe, Thy home,
Gather us who seek Thy face
To the fold of Thy embrace,
For Thou art nigh. [Refrain]


3 While the deep'ning shadows fall,
Heart of Love, enfolding all,
Through the glory and the grace
Of the stars that veil Thy face,
Our hearts ascend. [Refrain]


4 When forever from our sight
Pass the stars, the day, the night,
Lord of angels, on our eyes
Let eternal morning rise,
And shadows end. [Refrain]

Amen.


10 comments:

  1. I sure understand the avoidance of all of the tv info about remembering 9/11! I remember it vividly and do not want to watch it again. What a lovely old campground--it looks very much like the one where I was baptized many years ago! (No gators in the lake in NY though! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day so clearly and will never forget it. We had supper last night with friends, and he is a teacher. He remembers watching with the kids as the day unfolded - high school teacher. Such a tragic day.
    That's a beautiful campground - so nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a meaningful and relaxing way to spend this particular anniversary, Pamela. Let us make new memories! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten that you were personally effected by 9-11 so its understandable you are touched in a more profound way. Have you ever considered attending the memorial at NYC? I can't imagine the loss you feel on this day.
    We watched everything we could so needless to say I had a difficult sleep last night, processing it all. No nightmares, just stressful and confusing dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No,Debby, we have not ever considered attending the memorial at NYC.First of all, we would never want to travel to NYC these days as we would probably get totally lost and end up in the wrong places and the wrong times. We are not city people and just the thought of traveling there gives us a very high level of stress. We have seen enough of the memorial on TV to know that it would not be something we could do at this stage in life. It's hard enough watching it on TV. I honestly am not able to watch it anymore. Just thinking about it gives me such an emotional reaction. We did not even really know my husband's cousin that well. He had not seen him since childhood, and we didn't know his wife and children at all. We knew his father, who was my hubby's father's brother, and he died of a broken heart after this happened, as you can well imagine. For us who have lost a child through illness is hard enough. We can only imagine how hard it would be to lose a child in something so horrific as this was. No, some things are better left alone for our own emotional state of mind.

      Delete
  5. It is a day I will never forget. I'm glad you went for a ride. The photos are lovely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love that song but haven't heard it for many, many years. Thanks for posting it.
    I too find it so difficult to watch the events of 9 11 ... We have such personal ties to the memories. I too continue to post my photos from that day as a living memorial for others to learn from.
    (((hugs)))
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you and John have a peaceful place in which to retreat when Life becomes painful. For some reason, I'm drawn to every second of coverage -- like my tongue goes to a place where a tooth once lay. (Does that make sense?)
    It's been so many years since I played miniature golf; I even wonder if they still exist around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the day, as well. I also understand why you love to escape to that beautiful location and thanks for sharing it with us when you visit. It is so peaceful. Sending a hug your way!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember too - it is us oldies but goodies that remember and hurt. I hope history teaches the kids about it. I have heard of someone's relatives not even believing it happened. Guess that explains a lot of the issues going on today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting here today. I would love for you to sign my guestbook and let me know you stopped by. I always enjoy reading your comments and words of encouragement! May you be blessed as you go on your way. Please come back and visit again soon.