What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?

What Do You See Outside YOUR Open Window Today?
Remember: "When God closes a door, He always opens a window!" You never know what might be out there waiting for you!

Saturday, June 21, 2014

"The Sounds of Silence"

Hello Blog Page my old friend, I've come to talk with you again...   I kind of rewrote that phrase from one of my old favorite Simon and Garfunkle songs, "The Sounds of Silence", which said, "Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you again..."   That was the song that just popped into my head as I sat down here at my computer and tried to think about what on earth I was going to write.  It seems as though my mind has been a bit of a blank lately.  Actually, my mind is full of things...I just don't know how to say them. Not sure that I want to say them in public.

Not bad things, just private thoughts...thoughts of grief, sorrow, healing, 
comfort, sadness, memories, joy, longing, 
praying, wishing, hoping, wondering, 
thankfulness, 
praise, love, wistful, tender, 
crying, laughing....

You see, when you've said farewell to someone you love so much...one of your own precious children...
and even though
 you know in your heart that you will see him again someday
and you rejoice in knowing that he is no longer suffering...
he is fully whole and happy in heaven...

You still have those moments when you wish you could turn back time and start over again...and have things turn out differently...if you had the power to keep the disease from forming in his body...if you could have somehow changed the course of events...but then you realize that you are not God. You really can't see the bigger picture yet...the picture that God sees looking down at us from His heavenly throne.  You realize that now your child can see the bigger picture...and he understands the whys and wherefores...and if he could tell me so, he would tell me that it is all going to be okay...not to worry...God's plan IS the best plan...and I will understand it better by and by.

This morning I took my breakfast of a cup of hot tea, a homemade blueberry bran muffin fresh out of the oven, and a bowl of summer fruit and went and sat outside in the garden arbor that we just built in memory of our son, and I sat there in the garden and thought about these things. And then I allowed God to do His work of healing in my heart.  He knew exactly what I needed. Here are a few pictures that I took this morning as I welcomed God's therapy of peace and quiet to comfort me:

















God knew just what I needed. He always does.

I read in today's reading of "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young:

"Wait patiently with Me while I bless you.
Don't rush into My Presence with time-consciousness gnawing at your mind.
I dwell in timelessness;
I am, I was, I will always be. 
For you, time is a protection;
you're a frail creature who can handle only twenty-four-hour segments of life.
Time can also be a tyrant, 
ticking away relentlessly in your mind.
Learn to master time, or it will be your master.

Though you are a time-bound creature, 
seek to meet Me in timelessness.
As you focus on My Presence,
The demands of time and tasks will diminish.
I will bless you and keep you,
making My Face shine upon you graciously,
giving you Peace."

I needed that message today. I tend to be driven by time and things to do. I haven't allowed myself much time for healing..."The Sounds of Silence"...time to rest, time to appreciate the beauty around me. 

"Therefore I will look to the LORD; 
I will wait for the God of my salvation; 
My God will hear me.  
Do not rejoice over me, my enemy;
When I fall, I will arise;
When I sit in darkness,
The LORD will be a light to me."

Micah 7:7-8

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet place to reflect on a sweet son, a place where you can cry, pray, do all the hard work of grieving. It takes so much out of you. In all seriousness, I hope you're staying rested and hydrated--you need your strength for this part of your journey through the valley of the shadows. I suppose by now it goes without saying, but I say it anyway, I continue to pray for you and John and the rest of the family.
    Much love, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am beginning to understand just how long of a journey this will be...just when I think I'm doing ok, something is said or I see something or a picture flashes through my mind and there I go again, ole leaky eyes. But we are beginning to discover some joys that God is bringing into our lives in the process, like a more mature relationship developing with our grandson...truly a gift. We know that God is with us in this valley...and we also know that it will get better day by day. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. That truly does help.

      Delete
  2. Pamela:It is important that you allow yourself time to grieve. Someone said we grieve in relationship to how much we love.That's why I believe that it takes a prolonged time to get through the initial stages of grief. I believe I told you our niece said, " This never goes away." I believe the hurt mellows into memories. When we know we will see our departed again, we grieve differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do not grieve as those who have no hope...we KNOW we will see our son again, in a far better place. But in the meantime we miss his presence, his voice, his smiles, his goofy faces. All the things that made him unique and wonderful. So thankful to know that this life is not all there is. And we still have wonderful days ahead while here on this earth. God knows exactly what we need and when. Thank you for your kind words today. I appreciate your wisdom.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting here today. I would love for you to sign my guestbook and let me know you stopped by. I always enjoy reading your comments and words of encouragement! May you be blessed as you go on your way. Please come back and visit again soon.