It's October first! And you know what THAT means! It's time for the Calendar Roll Call!!
No better way to express the essence of Autumn than with this beautiful picture by John Sloane, from his Country Seasons Calendar..."Welcome to Autumn"...
For those of you who live in the region where there are scenes like this, I know you can well imagine the "thrill" of raking leaves with your children...and perhaps falling into a pile of leaves as soon as they are raked up! That's what my little boys did way back many moons ago when we lived in Ohio:
This is from the Susan Branch calendar for October:
I see that she listed October 12th as "Indigenous People's Day", and neglected to add that it is also "Columbus Day". Although I have no problem in setting aside a special day for the "Indigenous People", I do have a problem with the movement to erase Columbus Day from our calendar. But I won't get political here...just wanted to remember that in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. And who remembers the names of the three ships? The Pinta, The Niña, and the Santa Maria. And please be kind...no debates here regarding this special day from our history. Thank you.
Oh, the Susan Branch calendar did add something really good...a recipe for Corn Pudding! Who doesn't love a good corn pudding at Thanksgiving (or any church pot luck dinner?) Yum!
Well, after raking the leaves out on a chilly, windy, autumn day, why not come inside for a cup of hot tea with me? Although this particular picture doesn't depict our typical kind of fall fare...and is that a grasshopper on that teapot? It is an interesting Japanese design.
This is actually a teapot designed for drinking "sake" during New Year's celebrations in Japan...
Okay, if you like that, be my guest, but I will be serving tea...
It's really not that difficult:
Now, this is more like it...wow! What a beautiful stone cottage beside the creek... This painting by Thomas Kincade is entitled "The Valley of Peace". It certainly does look peaceful now...and I love the verses included on the picture and below..."Casting all your care upon him; (the Lord), for He carethe for you." 1 Peter 5:7
And now we move on to the Billy Graham calendar for October...love those beautiful red apples...
And I love this promise quote from Billy Graham...especially the part, "God has not yet finished with us." That's good to know, isn't it?
And I love this verse from Psalm 139:16...God knew us even before we were born...and every day of our lives is already recorded in God's book!! Wow...that's certainly a major thought to consider...
And last, but not least, we can ponder all these things while we cozy up in front of the fire in this lovely little cabin in the woods...Oh my! I can hear the fire crackling in the fireplace, and perhaps there's an apple pie in the oven and something good bubbling on the stove...chili? soup? stew? What's your favorite comfort food to make on a chilly fall day after being outside raking leaves and/or taking a walk in the woods on an autumn day? Any of the above sound good to me, but chili is probably the easiest to make, so that's most likely what I'd do. Gosh! This all makes me anxious to have those cooler fall days get here! Here in Florida we may have to wait a while, but we can still pretend...
Speaking of using a "physical calendar...", my friend Debbi from
Debbi's Front Porch, sent me this picture. I told her I couldn't believe how much that actually looks like me...
It reminded me of this picture below, taken many years ago at our last house, and when I had a permanent in my hair that looks just like that lady above! LOL. In this picture I wasn't writing on my calendar, but I was writing a post on my blog and wearing my favorite flannel shirt, that I usually start wearing again about this time of the year every year. I will probably continue to do so until it just falls apart from wear...don't you have any special shirts like that? It fits me the best of any of the flannel shirts I own, and is the most comfy of all. Anyway, I thought the resemblance was uncanny and had to look up this old photo to show you! LOL.
Meanwhile, while we wait for flannel shirt weather to begin again, this was our sunset last night...the last sunset of September...
Still no significant water in Still Waters Pond, but over under those green bushes it is very wet, so keep praying! It's supposed to rain a lot this week...and I heard we are in for a wet winter, so there's hope!
And here's the sunrise this morning, October 1, 2026!
It's going to be a great month! I can feel it in my bones! LOL.
Thank you for hanging in there with me through all the calendars this morning. I pray that your October is off to a great start too! Now I have to go call the dentist as my hubby broke a tooth last night...actually the tooth was apparently cracked around an old filling, and a part of the tooth broke off while we were eating dinner. So now we can add that to the calendar...a dentist appointment!
God bless you all with His love and kindness and tender mercies throughout this month and beyond. Amen!
Happy October! I enjoyed the calendar pages you shared. I think my favorite is the cabin in the woods. A perfect place to enjoy Fall!
ReplyDeleteI love the boys in the leaves. Our kids did the same.
I agree with you on Columbus.
I have to start with your flannel shirt which I do love. I have a long sleeved knit shirt that I have had since the 1990's. It came from Gayfer's which is a whole story unto its own, but that shirt is pure bliss. I wear it every winter once a week. It has been the sturdiest mystery comfy shirt ever. Long live our favorite shirts.
ReplyDeleteI love my calendars and Columbus Day for certain. I quit using a planner a few years ago once the girl got so political on Instagram. I love a calendar on the side of the refrigerator. I look at all the time. I have used the Farmer's Almanac one for the last few years. Jeff used to get me a Springer Spaniel puppy one for years. I use a paper planner to keep my life in order. I just don't want to go digital with that aspect of my life. My paper planner is comforting to me. I carry it with me to all appointments and keep myself organized with it. Nothing fancy about it but it does have pretty pics on it.
We will celebrate Columbus Day!!!