I thought you might like to see that the Sand Hill Crane couple still stops by in our weedy yard every so often to say hello,
 |
| My poor zinnia garden is pretty well toast and weeds. They also had a fungus and didn't do very well at all. I've planted some new seeds in a different location, and if they make it I will let you know. It's just been too hot and dry for anything nice to grow. |
And to get a drink from the swimming pool that we keep filled up just for that purpose since it's so dry and Still Waters Pond is still very dry.
They seem to be most appreciative.
And Blackie loves to watch them from a distance. He's knows better than to get too close. It they had babies with them they would definitely chase him away...
"Hi Mom! Don't worry, I'm being good."
Here it is Sunday evening, and we are winding down with July as well as the photo-a-day-challenge. Today's challenge was 9 o'clock! Well, at 9:00 this morning I was getting ready for church and didn't have time to take a picture of a clock. And now it is about 8:11 p.m., and I don't feel like waiting until 9:00 to take a picture tonight. So, I cheated a bit.

This "Anniversary Clock" has been sitting on the Secretary Desk for ages, and it needed a new battery put in. So I decided to go ahead and put in a new battery and set it for 9:00 so I could take a picture. But by the time I got the battery in and the time set, and the mirrored back put back on and arranged it in such a way so you couldn't see my reflection in the mirror so well or on the glass...well, it was already past 9:00! 
I tried a couple of times (actually several, because of the reflections...I didn't want you to see my hands on the camera)
Or too much dust in the corners so I had to take it apart and clean it better...LOL.
This clock was given to us by my husband's Aunt Florence many years ago. She owned a furniture store in New Jersey, and I can't remember exactly when she gave this to us, but I'm thinking it's when we went there to visit her. BTW, the Army Soldier in the background was my hubby's father...and Aunt Florence was his sister. So this clock holds special memories, dust and all!
And by the time I get finished writing this post, it will probably be 9:00! LOL
Today was a lovely day. We were blessed this morning to receive 10 new members! That is quite remarkable for our small church! Such a blessing! As you can see by all the gray heads in the pews, we need to keep bringing in new members, and especially some that are younger!

It was also wonderful that our "kids" were here for lunch after church. Here's Rose and Benton and our grandpups Sugar and Spice. We were having some "cool" dessert, Marie Callendar's frozen Key Lime Pie and/or Banana Cream Pie. They were refreshing and I didn't have to bake. Scott was also here, but I failed to take his picture. He was busily enjoying his piece of Key Lime pie too. We also had Fried Chicken that I picked up at the grocery store on the way home from church, along with some coleslaw and Hawaiian Rolls. I did cook some mashed potatoes and made a tossed salad. It was nice not to have to cook anything but the potatoes, as it is SO hot, and I didn't want to ask Scott to grill anything outside in the heat. All in all it was a good meal and a good time visiting with our kids. Always such a joy.

I had mentioned the other day that we needed to have some tree work done on Friday. One of the windy storms we had earlier in the week had knocked down some very large and heavy branches from some oak trees in the woods lot next to our house. Thankfully they weren't close enough to the house to hit it, but they did land on the chain link fence and needed to be cleaned up. So our son Benton came over and also a fellow from our church who helps us with our yardwork, and they worked really hard in the extreme heat to cut back those branches and clean it up the best they could.
It really was a bigger job than what they had equipment to handle, but they got the worst of it done and we are very thankfuly they managed without injury or too much heat exhaustion.
It was only 9:00 in the morning, and yet, it was already so hot that they really couldn't stay out there for very long.
Someday when it's a bit cooler than it has been we will get a lot more work done, but right now they did all that needed to be done.
Since our photo theme was about time, I thought I would close with a few Scripture verses about Time:
Isaiah 64:4 NIV
4 Since ancient times no one has heard,
no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you,
who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.
Psalm 31:14-15a
But I trust in you, Lord;
I say, “You are my God.”
15 My times are in your hands;
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
Well Folks, I did it! I managed to keep writing until 9:00, and then I had to run around like a crazy person taking pictures of clocks before they changed the time. so these are the ones I managed to get!:
(on the bottom of my computer desktop screen).
The kitchen wall clock
My cell phone screen
The clock that sits in front of our TV in the living room.
My wrist watch. I almost didn't get there in time!
Well, now it is TIME for bed, so I will say good night and God bless you all!
Good job on the clock pics! Did John laugh at you as you did that? Bob would have been teasing me about it.
ReplyDeleteGlad the Sand Hill Cranes still stop by and I hope next year there is water in the pond for them.
Your lunch today was perfect for a hot day!
I enjoyed this post so much. I'm pleased to see the sand hill cranes haven't deserted you. I wish I could send you some of our cold weather for a bit of relief, both ways. Like you I'm over the cold (not the hot). Those lads were great getting that work done for you in that heat. Lunch sounds delicious, just right for a hot day.
ReplyDeleteI have to say I don't think I have ever seen a Sand Hill Crane live. That was cool. Ten people joining a church was awesome. I am sorry about that huge tree that went over. Sandie/Chatty
ReplyDeleteWishing you a beautiful week, Pamela! smiles
ReplyDelete