Oh, it's been so nice to have several rainy days in a row! Even if it is causing my joints to ache all over my body, and there's a damp chill in the air that makes me want to curl back up in bed and pull the covers over me and take a nice long nap...(which I did take a nice nap today, just not that long of one), I'm not going to complain! We have been praying for this rain for so long...I am very very thankful. However, all that being said, the pond still doesn't look that much wetter yet...we've had more drizzle than real rain, but it's getting there little by little.

Can you see that hawk sitting way over there on that tree on the other side of the pond? He has claimed this pond for his territory, and he can be seen out there at different times throughout the day, staking out his claim for whatever would make a good meal for him. There must be something growing there in those puddles on the pond...he keeps going down there and getting something!

Since today was a chilly, damp, rainy day, it was a good day for homemade soup...and so I put on a crock pot full of vegetables and beef (ground beef, however) and let it simmer all day. Not only did it smell good, but it tasted really good, especially with some fresh hot cornbread!
Oh, I forgot there were ice cubes in this bowl...that's hubby's bowl. It was too hot, so he put ice cubes in it to cool it down! LOL.
Blackie sat close by, hoping someone would drop him some "crumbs". Someone may have done that..ahem...
After we left the table, he jumped up in the chair, and was getting ready to jump up on the table to see if there was anything else there, but I pulled the chair away from the table so he couldn't do that. Getting on the table is a definite NO NO! Look at that face...LOL.
I also decided to bake a "Sock it to Me" cake.
Here is a link to when I made this before, with the recipe. If you compare the cakes, you will see that this one doesn't look nearly as pretty as the other one did, because this one stuck to the pan and came out in pieces, so I had to piece it back together!
Also, I realized when I just looked back at that previous one, I used an entirely different recipe from online! The other one I made from scratch. This one I made using a cake mix, but it still added the sour cream and butter, 4 eggs, etc., so it was almost the same. I forgot to add flour to the PAM when I sprayed the bundt pan. Apparently that made a big difference! Oh well, "the proof is in the pudding" as they say. If it tastes good, that's what matters most. I will let you know...I haven't sampled it yet.
A little later: Okay, I just had a small piece, and it was pretty good! Not sure which one I like better, but this one is definitely good enough to eat, even it is a bit lopsided!
As I mentioned in my last post
HERE, we were planning to go check out the new Backwoods Country Kitchen for lunch yesterday with the kids. And even though it was a rainy day, we didn't let that dampen our spirits and off we went...Our waitress was kind enough to take our picture:
(Remind me to sit up straight next time. I still had on my rain jacket and that was not a very flattering pose! LOL But we were all smiling and excited to be there.)
No, this wasn't our waiter, but I kept seeing him out of the corner of my eye, and I kept thinking someone was standing there...LOL.
I really didn't take a lot of pictures inside, but I was enjoying their rustic backwoods decor and just happy they were finally open! I forgot to take any pictures of my meal. The food was okay...everyone else had a good meal...they chose either the hamburgers or the chopped steak with onions and gravy and mashed potatoes. I wanted to try their seafood chowder, and sadly, I was rather disappointed. It was very thin for chowder, and if it hadn't been for the oyster crackers that they provided, there wouldn't have been much substance to the chowder. The flavor was good, however. I just probably won't order that again. Thankfully I also had a side salad, and it was very good. And, just being there with our kids was the best part of all.
I had also mentioned that we hoped to talk to our grandson yesterday for his birthday. Well...apparently he works evenings and doesn't get off until 10:00. We actually texted back and forth...he was going to call us on his supper break, but that wasn't until after 6:00 p.m., and I was going to choir practice then, so he said he would try to call us again tonight on his break. Well, the time was slipping past and I texted him as a reminder and he texted back that he had been very busy and had to use his break time to take care of some things, so he would try again tomorrow... At least he's communicating this much...and now we know he's working, which we didn't even know that before...so that's progress! The last time we talked several months ago he was looking for a new job. I have no clue what it is. Hopefully we will get some answers when he calls tomorrow...here's hoping and praying! I am thankful for any communication at all. God is good.
Well, I think I will bring this to a close. It's getting late and my body is still aching. I am looking forward to a hot shower. I would prefer a hot bath, but I don't do well getting in and out of our deep garden tub, so it's better to be safe than sorry...a shower it will be! LOL.
I will leave you with these words of praise and thanksgiving from Psalm 34. Have a blessed and restful night my friends.
Psalm 34:1-4, 8-10
"1 I will bless the Lord at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul shall make its boast in the Lord;
The humble shall hear of it and be glad.
3 Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
And let us exalt His name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and He heard me,
And delivered me from all my fears."
"8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
9 Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints!
There is no want to those who fear Him.
10 The young lions lack and suffer hunger;
But those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing."
Amen!
Good night!
Oh I can't wait till I can have a cozy rainy day like you enjoyed.
ReplyDeleteYour soup looks good. I have a big chunk of cooked pot roast in the freezer I can't wait to use for soup. Your cake could be called a Sock it to me in pieces cake! I'm sure it was very good. I've pieced together a cake or two in my years and pie crust! It happens.
It always frustrates me paying good money for a mediocre meal. At least everyone else enjoyed theirs.
I just love seeing rain come down on the pond!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a nice time out, even if the meal could have been better. Hopefully they will improve.
And I hope you get to talk to your grandson soon, I think it will happen!
Two days of raining, here, too. We haven't walked for two days and I really miss it. I hope you and your grandson connect by phone soon! My two grands like texting more than calling. I think it a generation thing, but like you I am happy for any communication!! Your cake looks and sounds yummy. They don't have to look perfect... you cut it and serve it and how it tastes is the most important thing! I enjoyed our visit here today, Pam!! Sending a hug!
ReplyDeleteIt's good to see you getting some rain! I hope your little pond fills up again soon. The soup looks so good. I bought veggies at the farm market on Monday and went to Sam's Club to buy a big pack of stew meat (some for now and some to freeze) yesterday so I can make soup at some point this week. Maybe Friday as I think we may see a little rain. If not, I'll make it Sunday when the rain from the hurricane and storms down south are supposed to reach us.
ReplyDeleteHooray for the rain, Pamela! Sorry, though, that it has made your joints achy. Hope you can actually connect with Noah soon! I know how much you miss your grandson. Have a blessed day!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're finally getting some much-needed rain! I had to laugh at your husband putting ice cubes in his soup! 😂 And poor Blackie, looking so hopeful! I hope your aches ease soon and that you get to have a lovely chat with your grandson. ❤️
ReplyDeleteUmmm, that soup looks so good. I love soup any day and in any season.
ReplyDeleteHope your shower and yummy meal helped your poor aching joints.
Here's hoping you get that phone call and can catch up on all of your grandson's "doings".
Sorry your meal wasn't top notch at the new restaurant. Sometimes it takes a while for them to work out the kinks. Probably a burger is a safer choice who knows ... hope you can try it again with better results.
Take care
Sue
Soup and cornbread! I love both. This is the weather for it. Ice cubes: I do that all the time with my bowl of soup.
ReplyDeleteYour cake looks wonderful and I'm sure the taste was excellent!
Okay, you've just convinced me. No matter the weather outside, I'm going to "do" a veggie and beef soup or stew ... we'll see. That cake looks delicious; unfortunately, I won't be trying to create anything like it until December -- when calories/carbs won't count.
ReplyDeleteDon't you love a server who's happy to take photos? Our ladies group has been fortunate, but earlier this week she seemed a little put out. Oh well. I think all y'all looked great.
That soup looks wonderful.
ReplyDeleteDo you think the creek will ever fill up again?
I hope the rain will accumulate for you to have your pond back soon!
ReplyDeleteI hope the pond fills up properly soon, Pam. I liked the hawk sitting on his tree across the water like he owns the place, and wondering what he keeps finding in those puddles. Hope your joints ease up and the call with your grandson comes tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE making 🍲 soups and stews!! 🥣 🍲 🍜 🍲 . I did taco soup last week, then ""tater" soup. I love my crock pot!! Your soup LOOKS DELICIOUS !!---yummy. Tomorrow I'm doing chili. Still hoping yall get good pond soaking rains!! MERRY WEEKEND!! 🌻 🌻 🌻 🌻 🌻 🌻 🌻 🌻 🌻
ReplyDeleteThe stew, the corn bread, the cake.. yummy looking. You look great in the photo, rain jacket and all! I hope you do hear from him and do so more often. Young people often don't realize how important connections are to parents and grandparents. I am sorry you are hurting and will pray for that to be healed. I am feeling the gulf hurricane and had a misterable couple of days because of it.. at least I think that is what it is. I hope you have a beautiful rest of today. Oh.. and I think outside of New England it's hard to get good chowder or should I say chowdah!
ReplyDeleteGlad you got some rain. Your nap sounds great! Yum on the food you made. Way to go on making a cake too. Glad you got to go out to eat. Happy Birthday to your grandson. Hope you have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteThe rain must have been nice to see and glad it was not in the form of the hurricane, Pam, but sorry to read about your side effects. The soup and corm bread look perfect for the weather. I have often used ice cubes to cool down hot food, like John, and too bad Blackie missed out but table jumping is always a no-no. Good new on the communication with your grandson and hope you sill connect soon. And, whenever you are unhappy with a meal out, it’s always best to let management know because it could deter customers from returning.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will be able to talk with your grandson soon. Happy Birthday to him!
ReplyDeleteHurray for the rain! Keep it coming!