Good Tuesday Morning! We are talking about Labor Day today, but I wrote about what we did on Labor Day yesterday. Actually we ceased from our labors and just relaxed and enjoyed a beautiful day!
Labor Day

Welcome to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4 where we ask 4 questions every week.
Labor Day is Monday, Sept. 7. The original Labor Day was September 5, 1882 when over 10,000 workers took to the streets to protest 12 hour work days for low wages and cruel practices of employers.
The first official Labor Day was on September 7th in Oregon.
President Grover Cleveland signed on for the first offical federal observance of Labor Day following the Pullman Strike in which government forces shot dead many unarmed workers strking over dramatic wages cuts and dramatic cost of living increases in a company town. Workers pay was cut 30% and they could not afford basic food. When a group of men tried to negotiate with Pullman, they were fired and 34 of them were "unalived"* by government forces. 1. How do you observe Labor Day and were you aware of the background of it?I really didn't know that particular story as shared above.
* My question: Where did the term "unalived" come from? That's strange terminology to me...I guess it's the pc way of saying they were killed. I believe in just telling it like it is...as sad as it is. No sense in mincing words! It sounds like it was a very sad chapter in our country's history. Thankfully our observance of Labor Day is much more peaceful. We didn't do anything extra special, but what we did do I wrote about yesterday
HERE.2, Many holidays become just a day off rather than a real commemoration of an event. How do you propose we can remedy that?A lot of communities and cities have special events and parades, etc., to commemorate these kinds of holidays. Certainly there should be more education about these holidays in our schools. I guess because I grew up in a more rural area, Labor Day was never really something that we understood that well, because it didn't seem to connect to the kinds of workers that were in our area...we didn't have labor unions, etc., like they do in the big cities,
3. What is the most labor intensive job or activity you have done?
When we moved back to Florida from Maine I wanted to get my foot in the door with the county school board, so I accepted a position in the Testing Department. This meant that I had to deliver testing booklets to all of the county schools for their standardized testing. Then I had to pick them back up. It was a lot of lifting and very hard on my back. I was almost 50 years old at the time, and in much better condition than I am now, but still it was hard work for me. Then the county decided to relocate the Testing Department to another location, which meant that I had to physically pack and move all of those boxes of testing materials, mostly by myself. They did provide a truck and workers to transport them to the new place, but I had to do all the labor of arranging them in the new location on shelves. There was also the daily routine of managing paperwork and scanning the tests for scoring, which involved a lot of repetitive motion. Consequently I developed a very severe case of carpal tunnel. It was extremely painful, and I had to make a work comp claim and take some time off. The best part of this story was that the school board realized that I should not have been doing all of that hard labor by myself, and they actually "promoted" me to a much better position as a school Bookkeeper, which was much more in keeping with my skills and better pay too! So all my hard labor paid off, but I truly suffered in the meantime. I am thankful to the Lord for rescuing me out of that situation and moving me on to much better things.
4. If your income was cut by 30% could you still survive? What would you do?
If our current "income" was cut by 30%, it would be quite difficult for us to survive, since we are retired and dependent upon a very fixed income. We do not have a huge savings account, and we are very careful about maintaining those funds. We would most likely have to consider selling our home and hopefully finding something that we could pay for outright and not have a mortgage. Or we would have to consider living with our kids. In the past, when we were still young and able to work, we would just look for another job...but we are both at an age where working is not really feasible, although if I really had to, I could probably find a part time job doing something not too physical.
I am very thankful to God for providing for us in all of our years. There were many lean times when we were raising our three children, but we never had to do without the essentials of food, clothing, and shelter. God always took care of us even when things were difficult, and our children never really knew any kind of deprivation. They may have thought they were being deprived sometimes when we couldn't buy them the new expensive shoes or jeans or "toys" that their peers may have had, but they always had what they needed and they were well taken care of.
Here's a favorite passage that has always meant a lot to me...
Psalm 37:3-5 New King James Version
"3 Trust in the Lord, and do good;
Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
4 Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him,
And He shall bring it to pass."
I can attest to this being true!! Amen.
Now we must go "give blood" for our quarterly lab work and then off to breakfast somewhere! Hip Hip Hooray! LOL. Have a lovely day!!!
I didn't know the history of Labor Day. I also think the term unalived is very strange.
ReplyDeleteMy most labor intensive job was working on a celery farm when I was in school. It was hard work!
One day is often like another except for Sundays! I hope the blood draw goes well.
ReplyDeleteWe learned about all that in school about Labor day. I grew up in a area, that was union strong. Plus in the 60's we had all those grape and lettuce boycotts, and the United Farmworkers Union started.
ReplyDeleteI have to appauld you for questioning that term, " unalived" I looked it up and it is the internet slang to say that instead of killed, murdered etc because saying the correct way hurts people's feelings. Oh brother!
I'm glad you pointed out the use of the word "unalive" here, Pamela, as I didn't catch it when reading others' answers to the Labor Day questions. Let's not mince words but call a spade a spade, period! Hope you have a fun breakfast together after "donating" that blood - LOL!
ReplyDeleteMany social media companies like Facebook and blogger will flag or remove posts that contain words related to m*rder, s@icide, etc. Which is why you will see people not write out the full word or use words like unalived.
ReplyDeleteUnalived is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time. Good grief. Another interesting Tuesday 4 post, though, and I enjoyed reading your answers. I have fasting labs next month, but see the cardiologist tomorrow. It's always something, isn't it!! (not a questions) Hope your blood draws went well and that breakfast was good!! xo
ReplyDeleteMy brain is reeling from reading the word "unalive" How ridiculous ! I fear for the upcoming generations and their perception of our world.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the information on Labor Day. I'm sure I knew the details long ago but now it just seems to be a holiday.
My most labor intensive job in the paid category was probably when I worked in the Sears Snack Bar. When I was on the schedule to open the place it was by myself and there was so much lifting, doing so many things on a strict schedule before the store opened and I had to serve the salespeople their coffee+ before the store opened too. I really got good at multi-tasking.
The next thing was my 2 week stints down in Mexico ( for 14 years,)working on the Kitchen Team. We prepped, cooked and cleaned up every day -breakfast and dinner for 1200 hungry souls. The work was never done but I absolutely loved it because of the people on the team and the ministry it allowed me to do.
Hope you had a yummy breakfast after your "donations" and have a great rest of your day.
Sue
Many years ago I took a temporary job counting the standardized test booklets for a school district. While I did not have to lift and carry as you did, my co-workers and I often came up with different totals when we double-checked the number of booklets. That job did little for my self-confidence and I was very glad when it was over.
ReplyDeleteYou were one hard-working, dedicated employee. I'm glad your story got better with time!
Using certain terms can get your blog shut down believe it or not and so terms like unalived have become almost standard. We live in a nutsy time of 'correctness" and surveillance gone wild! I found this out the hard way.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you got a better job after that job caused you so many problems. I am sure your family would help out if you need it.🙏
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, on that "back-breaking" job you endured for so long. I suppose you and I were cut much from the same cloth -- show up every day and do what's required without belly-aching. Thankfully, the School Board recognized and bettered your situation!
ReplyDeleteLike some have said, I was unaware of the dark, sad history behind Labor Day. Such a sobering time we now take for granted. God bless them all!
Dear Pamela, I am so glad you got a better job as well! Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend. Please give Blackie a hug for me. Sending you a hug and much love across the miles.
ReplyDelete