- Alas! and did my Savior bleedAnd did my Sov’reign die?Would He devote that sacred headFor such a worm as I?
- Was it for crimes that I had doneHe groaned upon the tree?Amazing pity! grace unknown!And love beyond degree!
- Well might the sun in darkness hideAnd shut his glories in,When Christ, the mighty Maker died,For man the creature’s sin.
- Thus might I hide my blushing faceWhile His dear cross appears,Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,And melt my eyes to tears.
Photo via https://www.facebook.com/pg/warrenwilliscmp/photos/?ref=page_internal
- But drops of grief can ne’er repayThe debt of love I owe:Here, Lord, I give myself away,’Tis all that I can do.