Today, I have much more hope for our nation than I did in 2012. I am expecting some great things to happen in the next four years. But I am also a realist. I know that there is no man or woman who can totally make all of the changes and keep all of the promises that they hoped to be able to do. Things happen that totally change the course of our dreams and plans. Look back to 2001...and 9-11. That horrific event tragically changed the plans that our then President Bush had for his presidency...and altered the course of how we view our world and our sense of safety and security forevermore.
You know, we all have disappointments in life...some greater than others. But we don't have to lose hope. We don't have to hurt other people to show our displeasure and anger. If you don't like something, do something positive to help make our world a better place. Volunteer to help those less fortunate than you. Go on a mission trip to an impoverished nation or places here in our own country and help rebuild their homes, churches, schools. Donate from your personal wealth to give to those who have nothing. Teach a child to read and write. Visit the sick and lonely. Pray for those in authority over you and even for those whom you may greatly dislike. Turn a negative feeling into a positive action...something that improves the lives of others without harming innocent bystanders. Become a positive role model to those who may be looking up to you for guidance...don't lead them to become disobedient, disruptive and bitter people.
Now, back to where we were this time last year and in the years before...
Update from 11/15/2015:
In light of the current events taking place in our world this past week, (the ISIS attacks in Paris and other parts of the world)http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/11/14/paris-attacks-important-lessons-must-heed-from-french-tragedy.html I wanted to write something to express first of all my sorrow for the nation of France and others throughout the world so affected. These heinous acts leave us all feeling vulnerable and fearful, knowing that the same thing could happen here at home at a time when we least expect it. I was looking back at some earlier posts written regarding "the armor of God" Click HERE, And HERE AND HERE. I realized that this has been a recurring theme, but each from different perspectives and events in my life and the world at large. The reality is, we are living in a fallen world. We can expect things to continue to build and escalate as the final day draws nigh. But we don't have to live in fear and without hope.
Here's what I wrote three years ago, on 11/10/12:
I think my previous post left a few people speechless...not knowing exactly how to take it or what to say....
(Click on this link to "Still Reeling and Putting Things in Perspective" ) -which was written just after the last presidential election in 2012.
Today I think I will elaborate and set the record straight. This is in no way to be considered a thorough theological or prophetic message. It is just what I believe God is saying to my heart as I look at the world around me and read God's Word.
- First of all: Yes, I do believe we are living in the "Last Days"
- "Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near--at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. " Matthew 24:32-35
- But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, but My Father only." Matthew 24:36
- "Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing." Matthew 24:46
Ok, What should I be doing?
- "Finally, my brethren, (sisters), be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might."
- "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." (Read Ephesians 6:10-18)
- "Beware, lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power..." Colossians 2:8-10
- "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory." Colossians 3:2-4
- "Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.
- But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.
- Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
- And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Colossians 3:12-17
- "Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time.
- Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one." Colossians 4:5-6
- "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
- In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another." I John 4:7-11
- "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say rejoice!
- Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
- And the peace of God, which surpasses ALL understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7
Do I have all the answers? NO! But God's Word DOES! Read your Bible! Get to know the One Who gave His life for you...and the One with Whom you will be spending eternity!
Do I always live like this? NOT LIKE I SHOULD. So this message is as much for me as it is for you. Again, I go back to my post from yesterday: "People Get Ready, Jesus IS Coming"...but in the meantime...Live for Him, Love Like Him, and Let Others See Him Living in You.